[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 31 01:51:56 EDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is now official that Python will switch to Mercurial (Hg):
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/102706
>>
>> Not that it directly concerns me, but this is rather surprising given:
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0374/
>
> I don't think it is: as Guido said in his email, someone has to make
> the decision, and endless discussion go nowhere, because you can
> always make arguments for one or the other. Since some core developers
> are strongly against git (Martin Loewis for example), and given that
> hg is used by several core python developers already, I think it makes
> sense.

I agree.  The PEP does not show overwhelming superiority (or, arguably,
even mild superiority) of any alternative; I think the different systems
have been tending to converge in their capabilities, and all are
serviceable.  Mercurial *can* be viewed as easier to learn and use than
git, and much faster than bzr.  Perhaps of interest to the numpy
community is that mercurial is already in use by Sphinx, sage, and cython.

Disclosure: I use and like hg.

Eric