[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.3.0 rc1 OS X Installer

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 30 11:51:09 EDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Robert Pyle <rpyle at post.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> This one installs, but only in /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/,
>> that is, for Apple's system python.  This happened when `which python`
>> pointed to either EPD python or python.org's 2.5.4.
>
> Yes, what your default python is does not matter: I don't know the
> details, but it looks like the mac os x installer only looks whether a
> python binary exists in /System/Library/..., that is the one I used to
> build the package. You can see this in the Info.plist inside the
> .mpkg.

Well, this is the big question: what python(s) should be provide
binaries for -- I think if you're only going to do one, it should be the
python.org build, so that you can support 10.4, and 10.5 and everyone
can use it.

There are ways to build an installer that puts it in a place that both
can find it -- wxPython does this -- but I'm not so sure that's a good idea.

One of the key questions is how one should think of Apple's Python. They
are using it for some system tools, so we really shouldn't break it. If
you upgrade the numpy it comes with, there is some chance that you could
break something.

Also, Apple has not (and likely won't) upgrade their Python. I know I
happened to run into a bug and needed a newer 2.5, so I'd rather have
the control.

A few years ago the MacPython community (as represented by the members
of the pythonmac list) decided that the python.org build was that one
that we should all target for binaries. That consensus has weakened with
10.5, as Apple did provide a Python that is fairly up to date and almost
fully functional, but I think it's still a lot easier on everyone if we
just stick with the python.org build as the one to target for binaries.

That being said, it shouldn't be hard to build separate binaries for
each python -- they would be identical except for where they get
installed, and if they are clearly marked for downloading, there
shouldn't be too much confusion.

-Chris