[Numpy-discussion] Faster way to generate a rotation matrix?

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 07:52:54 EST 2009

First, do a profile.  That will tell you how much time you are spending in each function and where the bottlenecks are.  Easy to do in iPython.

Second, (I am guessing here -- the profile will tell you) that the bottleneck is the "call back" to the rotation matrix function from the optimizer.  That can be expensive if the optimizer is doing it a lot.  I had a similar situation with a numerical integration scheme using SciPy. When I wrote a C version of the integration it ran 10 times faster.  Can you get a C-optimizer?  Then use ctypes or something else to call it all from Python?

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.