[Numpy-discussion] Plans for Numpy 1.4.0 and scipy 0.8.0

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 02:28:34 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Pierre GM<pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2009, at 5:01 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> (Continuing the discussion initiated in the neighborhood iterator
>> thread)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I would like to gather people's opinion on what to target for numpy
>> 1.4.0.
>
> Is this a wish list ?

Yes - as long as the wishes are backup-ed with a timeline and
volunteers for the implementation :)

> * As Darren mentioned, some __array_prepare__ method called when a
> ufunc is called on a subclass of ndarray, before any computation takes
> place. Think of it as a parallel to __array_wrap__

Has there been any work on this ? I cannot comment on the feature
itself, I am not knowledgeable enough on that part of the code.

> * A .metadata/.addinfo object storing additional information along a
> ndarray. Travis O. mentioned that a little while back. Could probably
> wait a bit, till 1.5 ?

Same comment as for __array_prepare__.

My main motivation for an early numpy 1.4 is scipy 0.8.0. But if other
people think numpy 1.4.0 as it is now is too 'weak', making scipy
0.8.0 compatible with numpy 1.3.0 is technically possible. Then we can
talk about adding those features for numpy 1.4.0, and release it
later.

cheers,

David