[Numpy-discussion] RFC: add a install_clib numpy.distutils command to install pure C libraries

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Jun 12 07:34:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 07:46:04PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>     I have finally spent some time so that we can install pure C
> libraries using numpy.distutils. With this, one could imagine having a C
> library for fft, special functions in numpy or scipy, so that the
> library could be reused in another package at the C level. If someone
> knowledgeable about numpy.distutils would like to review this branch, I
> would be grateful:

Do I understand this well? Does that mean that another package could use
the lapack exposed by numpy, or the special function exposed by scipy, or
the random number generator exposed by numpy, at the C level?

That is fantastic! I am travelling and in a conference for two weeks, so
I don't know how much I will be able to review the code soon, but I am
very interested.

Gaël