[Numpy-discussion] matrix default to column vector?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 14:36:20 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Charles R
Harris<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think we can change the current matrix class, to do so would break
> too much code. It would be nice to extend it with an explicit inner product,
> but I can't think of any simple notation for it that python would parse.

Maybe it's time to make another push on python-dev for the pep-225
stuff for other operators?

https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/static/numpy-pep225/

Last year I got pretty much zero interest from python-dev on this, but
they were very very busy with 3.0 on the horizon.  Perhaps once they
put 3.1 out would be a good time to champion this again.

It's slightly independent of the matrix class debate, but perhaps
having special operators for real matrix multiplication could ease
some of the bottlenecks of this discussion.

It would be great if someone could champion that discussion on
python-dev though, I don't see myself finding the time for it another
time around...

Cheers,