[Numpy-discussion] matrix default to column vector?

Olivier Verdier zelbier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 11:38:40 EDT 2009

I agree. It would be a good idea to have matrices out of numpy as a
standalone package.
Indeed, having matrices in the numpy core comes at a pedagogical cost.
Newcomers (as I once was) do not know which to use. Matrix or array? It
turns out that the vast majority of numpy/scipy modules use arrays, so
arrays is the preferred way to go.

It would thus be clearer to have arrays in numpy and matrices available as
an external package.

Besides, I think matrices can be pretty tricky when used for teaching. For
instance, you have to explain that all the operators work component-wise,
except the multiplication! Another caveat is that since matrices are always
2x2, the "scalar product" of two column vectors computed as " x.T * y" will
not be a scalar, but a 2x2 matrix. There is also the fact that you must cast
all your vectors to column/raw matrices (as in matlab). For all these
reasons, I prefer to use arrays and dot for teaching, and I have never had
any complaints.

== Olivier