[Numpy-discussion] Neighbour-frequency matrix

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Jul 15 17:51:01 EDT 2009

Here's an interesting problem, and it might've already been solved by
some of you folks that do image processing:

Suppose I have an 8-bit integer 2-d array, X, and I want a 256x256
matrix that tells me how many times a pixel value v was horizontally
(along second dimension) adjacent to a pixel value b.

So,  in an array [[1, 2, 1],[1,1,2],[1,0,0]] the upper left 3x3 square
would be [[1, 1, 0], [1, 1, 3], [0, 3, 0]] with the rest of the matrix
0.

Is there an efficient way to do such a thing with numpy operations? I
can't think of a way.

David