[Numpy-discussion] installing numpy with Python2.5 already present

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 01:12:30 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Mike Landis <mlandis001 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> This time I included both ATLAS and MKL in the site.cfg file and got
>> a little further...  D:\temp\numpy-1.2.1\site.cfg now looks like:
>> ValueError: invalid version number '2.18.50.20080625'
>
> This is a bug in python. Really, you should use the binaries as
> recommended previously - it will take one minute, and that's how the
> vast majority of windows users install numpy.
>
> David

I'm working only on Windows, and I never had any problems with the
numpy installer. And until recently, I never tried to build it myself.
It is easier to install additional packages once numpy, and numpy
distutils are properly set up.

One problem on Windows is to get the path correct, when I'm building
scipy or scikits or any other package with C-extension, I only use
MinGW, and I don't have cygwin installed. On my old computer I had
cygwin, and I read stories that you shouldn't have cygwin on the
Windows path, since some programs got confused with conflicting
Windows and cygwin versions.

Just a guess:
>From your error message, I would think that python distutils finds
your cygwin installation, instead I would hide it by removing it from
the windows path and work only with MingW.

Josef