[Numpy-discussion] inplace dot products

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 20 06:18:23 EST 2009

Hi Olivier,

There was this idea posted on the Scipy-user list a while back:

	http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2008-August/017954.html

but it doesn't look like he got anywhere with it, or even got a
response.

I just tried it and I observe the same behaviour. A quick look at the
SciPy sources tells me there is something fishy.

subroutine
<
tchar=s,d,c,z>gemm(m,n,k,alpha,a,b,beta,c,trans_a,trans_b,lda,ka,ldb,kb)
   ! c = gemm(alpha,a,b,beta=0,c=0,trans_a=0,trans_b=0,overwrite_c=0)
   ! Calculate C <- alpha * op(A) * op(B) + beta * C

I don't read Fortran very well, but it seems to me as though the
Fortran prototype doesn't match the python prototype.

I'll poke around a little more, but in summary: there's no numpy-
sanctioned way to specify an output array for a dot(), AFAIK. This is
a bit of an annoyance, I agree, though I seem to remember Robert Kern
offering a fairly compelling argument why it's hard. I just don't know
what that argument is :)

David