[Numpy-discussion] nan_to_num and bool arrays

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:41:02 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/2009 01:33 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 13:11, Bruce Southey<bsouthey at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> As documented, nan_to_num returns a float so it does not return the
>>> input unchanged.
>>>
> Sorry for my mistake:
> Given an int input, np.nan_to_num returns an int dtype
>  >>> np.nan_to_num(np.zeros((3,3), dtype=np.int)).dtype
> dtype('int64')
>
>> I think that is describing the current behavior rather than
>> documenting the intent of the function. Given the high level purpose
>> of the function, to "[r]eplace nan with zero and inf with finite
>> numbers," I think it is fairly reasonable to implement it as a no-op
>> for integers and related dtypes. There are no nans or infs for those
>> dtypes so the input can be passed back unchanged.
>>

> So I agree that it should leave the input untouched when a non-float
> dtype is used for some array-like input.

Would only one line need to be changed? Would changing

if not issubclass(t, _nx.integer):

if not issubclass(t, _nx.integer) and not issubclass(t, _nx.bool_):

do the trick?

Here's nan_to_num for reference:

def nan_to_num(x):
    try:
        t = x.dtype.type
    except AttributeError:
        t = obj2sctype(type(x))
    if issubclass(t, _nx.complexfloating):
        return nan_to_num(x.real) + 1j * nan_to_num(x.imag)
    else:
        try:
            y = x.copy()
        except AttributeError: