[Numpy-discussion] What type should / return in python 3k when applied to two integer types?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Aug 28 09:55:19 EDT 2009

Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:46:39 -0400, Neal Becker kirjoitti:

> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 14:22, Christopher
>> Barker<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> By the way -- is there something about py3k that changes all this? Or
>>> is this just an opportunity to perhaps make some backward-incompatible
>>> changes to numpy?
>>
>> Python 3 makes the promised change of int/int => float.
>
> Does that mean that we want numpy to do the same?  I'm not so sure.
> Sounds like opening a can of worms (numpy has more types to worry about
> than just int and float.  If we start playing strange games we may
> regret it.)

I believe we want to. This is not really a strange trick: it's just that
in Python 3, the operator / is true_division, and // is floor_division.
I believe any worms released by this are mostly small and tasty...

The main issue is probably just choosing an appropriate float return
type, and personally I believe this should be same as numpy's default
float.

--
Pauli Virtanen