[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 14:32:20 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Fadhley Salim <Fadhley.Salim at uk.calyon.com
> wrote:

> Thomasm,
>
> What want is the current latest Numpy as a win32 .egg file for Python
> 2.4.4. I'm not bothered how I get there. We've been able to compile
> numpy 1.1.1 on visual studio 2003 with no problems at all. I've not yet
> been able to get anything newer to work.
>
> At the moment I'm trying to build using the setupegg.py file which comes
> with the Numpy 1.3.0 distribution. After about 5 minutes of compiling it
> abruptly like this:
>
> http://pastebin.com/d67dd871

Ah yes. That looks to be from the documentation merge in r5610. It's a bug
that shows up in Microsoft compilers because they can't handle long strings.
You should file a ticket, it needs to be fixed. As a quick (it's all
relative) workaround, you could break up the long strings in the mtrand.c
file into string per line and use line continuations.

Chuck