[Numpy-discussion] help getting started

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 10 16:42:11 EDT 2009

John Seales wrote:
> terminal command line or at the python interpreter.
>
> Anyone know what else might be wrong?

we're going to have to know a lot more about what you've done so far, but;

a) unless you have a strong reason to use Python2.6, I'd use 2.5:
   - install the python 2.5 form the python,org web site (it looks like
you have done this
   - install the binary for numpy for python 2.5:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=175103

You're done.

b) if you really need 2.6, you'll have to build numpy yourself:

   - Install the binary of Python2.6 from the python web site
   - make sure that's the one you get when you type "python":
      . "which python" may help here
      .  If it's not, edit your .bash_profile to get it on your PATH.
   - download the source tarball for numpy
      . unpack it into somewhere in your home directory
   - Make sure you have the Apple development tools: XCodeTools
   - cd into the numpy dir, and type:
     $ python setup.py build
     $ python setup.py install

   - run python, and type "import numpy"

Last I checked, the binary for ScipPy was broken, you'll need to get
gfortran and compile it yourself, as the page tells you.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov