[Numpy-discussion] f2py-problem fcompiler for f90-files missing

Tobias Lindberg Tobias.Lindberg at byggvetenskaper.lth.se
Tue Apr 7 10:05:52 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've tried to find anything in the archives to help me solve this problem but nothing of the suggested things seems to work.
Background:
I have installed the Python(xy) package (full) (numpy 1.2.1.2) both on my XP and Vista machine. On both these machines I have VS2008 installed as well. So the first problem I got was this;

No module named msvccompiler in numpy.distutils; trying from distutils
error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

Then I read that one could write like this;

f2py -m test -c test.f90 --compiler=mingw32

Then I got this error;

error: f90 not supported by GnuFCompiler needed for fort_mod.f90

so then I check which fcompilers there were and got this;

Fortran compilers found:
  --fcompiler=gnu  GNU Fortran 77 compiler (3.4.5)
Compilers available for this platform, but not found:
  --fcompiler=absoft   Absoft Corp Fortran Compiler
  --fcompiler=compaqv  DIGITAL or Compaq Visual Fortran Compiler
  --fcompiler=g95      G95 Fortran Compiler
  --fcompiler=gnu95    GNU Fortran 95 compiler
  --fcompiler=intelev  Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Itanium apps
  --fcompiler=intelv   Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for 32-bit apps
and the thing is that I have this g95.py under c:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\fcompiler\

so why does  not this thing wotk? And more important, how can I make it work?

I hope someone can help me with this.

Best regards

/tobias