[Numpy-discussion] Out-of-RAM FFTs

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 1 14:33:55 EDT 2009

Greg Novak wrote:
> This last issue leads to another series of things that puzzle me.  I
> have an iMac running OS X 10.5 with an Intel Core 2 duo processor and
> 4 GB of memory.  As far as I've learned, the processor is 64 bit, the
> operating system is 64 bit, so I should be able to happily memory-map
> my entire disk if I want.  However, Python seems to run out of steam
> when it's used 2 GB.  This is true of both 2.5 and 2.6.  What gives?
> Is this a Python issue?

Not python per-se, but yes, the standard builds of Python on OS-X are
all 32 bit.

I'm pretty sure that python2.6 builds successfully as 64 on OS-X --
check the archives and/or send a note to the pythonmac list:

to get more info.

You will need to build python and all the extension packages you need to
  make it work, though.

macports is worth checking out -- I think it can do 64 bit builds.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov