[Numpy-discussion] python 2.4 incompatibility in numpy.lookfor in numpy 1.2.0rc2

joep josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 21:54:36 EDT 2008

On Sep 23, 6:48 pm, joep <josef.p... at gmail.com> wrote:
> A possible solution would be in
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~pauli-virtanen/scipy/pydocweb/revision/386
>
> It seems to be possible to be used in the same way when  iter_modules
> is not available.
> The usage in ``_lookfor_generate_cache`` in lib/utils.py looks almost
> exactly the same
> as in the above revision
>
> Josef

this works for me and leaves the module unchanged if iter_modules is
available
python 2.4 compatible version is copied from
 http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~pauli-virtanen/scipy/pydocweb/revision/386
with adjustment for variable names, and it works under python 2.4
windowsXP

in Python24\Lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\utils.py
def _lookfor_generate_cache

starting at line 685
           # import sub-packages
           if import_modules and hasattr(item, '__path__'):
                if hasattr(pkgutil,'iter_modules'):              #
line added
                    for m in pkgutil.iter_modules(item.__path__):
                        if _all is not None and m[1] not in _all:
                            continue
                        try:
                            __import__("%s.%s" % (name, m[1]))
                        except ImportError:
                            continue
                else:                                    # else branch
added
                    for pth in item.__path__:
                        for mod_path in os.listdir(pth):
                            init_py = os.path.join(pth, mod_path,
'__init__.py')
                            if not os.path.isfile(init_py): continue
                            nm = "%s.%s" % (name, mod_path)
                            try:
                                __import__(nm)
                            except:
                                print >> sys.stderr, "Failed to import
module %s" % nm
                                pass

example:
C:\Josef\easyeclipseworkspace\sandbox\playground\numpyscipy
\teststats>ipython
Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints
more.

In [1]: import numpy as np

In [2]: np.lookfor('norm')