[Numpy-discussion] New patch for new mgrid / ogrid functionality

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Sep 22 03:40:42 EDT 2008

2008/9/19 David M. Kaplan <David.Kaplan at ird.fr>:
> My 2 cents - I personally think the version that always returns a list
> will ultimately be more transparent and cause fewer problems than the
> newer version.  In either case, the plan should be to eventually have it
> always return a list as that is the only fully consistent option, the
> question is just when that switch should be made and by who.  If it is
> done at the next major release, someone else will have to remember to ax
> the additional code and correct the documentation....

I think this change is worth making, because:

- It provides a consistent API for gridding.
- It optimises the most frequenty used situation:

x, y, z = ogrid[...]

- Someone already took the trouble of writing the patch.

If the (minor) API breakage is considered a problem, could we go
through the standard deprecation process and have this included?

Stéfan