[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 18 21:25:17 EDT 2008

Francis wrote:
> Thank you for your effort. I guess garnumpy reflects the idea in this
> Pylab discussion: http://www.scipy.org/PyLab
>
> Again I get errors in libblas/lapack related to gfortran (local
> variable problems). I replaced the libblas.a and the liblaplack.a by
> the ones of sage. And started make install again. It seems to work
> until it tries to configure/install umfpack.
If you install blas/lapack from sage, it kind of defeats the whole
purpose of garnumpy. The goal is to have a unified set of options to
build. It is likely that sage uses different options than the ones from
garnumpy. If you use garnumpy, you should use it for everything: it is
an all for nothing, intended to replace broken
distributions/workstations where you don't have admin rights.

When I updated a bit garnumpy yesterday, I tested it on CENTOS 5, which
is the distribution you are using, right ?

> xerbla.f:(.text+0xd7): undefined reference to `_g95_stop_blank'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[4]: *** [umfpack_di_demo] Error 1

Yes, that's expected: you are using blas from sage, this cannot work.

> Perhaps it possible to skip the installation of the umfpack since I
> probably won't need it or it requires the other libblas.a.
> Just wildly guessing here.

garnumpy by default does not install umfpack (scipy only requires
blas/lapack, and by default, garnumpy only install what is needed; you
can configure it to build umfpack, atlas, whatever, but by default, only
the minimal stuff), so I am not sure why you have umfpack errors.

cheers,

David