[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 01:29:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Francis <F.Drossaert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> In general the IT dep. don't want changes since changes require weeks
> of testing to make sure that existing applications are not
> conflicting, etc. I am not sure they would fulfill my request.
> Especially since it has no priority at all.

Ok, this really bothered that you had to install sage to use numpy.
You don't have to do it since you already wasted quite some time, but
I updated a small project of mine that I almost forgot: garnumpy. It
is a set of makefiles to build numpy, scipy and all its dependencies
(blas, lapack, fftw, etc...) automatically:
  - It download the tarballs for you.
  - It installs everything in a configurable directory, so that it is
self-contained

It is there;

http://github.com/cournape/garnumpy/

You can get the sources with git or just the tarball generated by
github if you don't have/don't want git.

Basic usage:

set up main_prefix in the file garnumpy.conf.mk (or keep the default
value: it installs in $HOME/garnumpyinstall)
cd platform/scipy && make install
source startgarnumpy.sh
# You now have your env set up for numpy and scipy
python -c "import scipy"

If you want to remove it, just rm -rf the path set up in main_prefix.

cheers,

David