[Numpy-discussion] (Late) summary of PEP-225 discussion at Scipy

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 29 15:33:03 EDT 2008

David Warde-Farley wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> In Robert's comment, I think the reST processor somehow got rid of a
> backslash. In my browser I see
>
> 	(I'm looking at you, Matlab's "")
>
> although this is an aside that will be lost on anyone who hasn't used
> the Matlab backslash operator anyway.
>
> In fact, one other thing just came to mind that isn't obvious and (so
> far as I can remember) hasn't been brought up: even though Robert and
> others (myself included) really only care about an operator to
> facilitate matrix multiplication, I think most of us would support the
> ~*=  (mentioned in the PEP) as a natural companion to ~*.

This makes no sense to me at all.  Why use in-place notation for an
operation that is not in-place?  The point of having a matrix
multiplication operator is to facilitate code that corresponds more
closely to mathematical notation.  The in-place operations live in the
computer science world, not the mathematical world.  The proposal for
~*= violates language consistency while doing nothing to improve
mathematical readability.

Eric