[Numpy-discussion] how to save a large array into a file quickly

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 14 21:29:32 EDT 2008

frank wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a large ndarray that I want to dump to a file. I know that I can
> use a for loop to write one data at a time. Since Python is a very
> powerfully language, I want to find a way that will dump the data fast
> and clean. The data can be in floating point or integer.

Use numpy.save for a single array, or numpy.savez for multiple ndarrays,
assuming you will want to read them back with numpy.  If you want to
dump to a text file, use numpy.savetxt.  If you want to dump to a binary
file to be read by another program, you might want to use the tofile
method of the ndarray.

Eric