[Numpy-discussion] Installation of Numerical Python

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:32:36 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 16:26, Linda Seltzer
<lseltzer at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hello Group Members:
>
> Can someone please answer a question about installing Numerical Python and
> getting it to work.  I downloaded the files.  They are in
> C:\Program Files\Python25
>
> I have the python code and also the new file
> numpy-1.2.0-win32-superpack-python2.5
>
> There is also a text file, numpy.wininst, and the last line of this file is:
> 200 File Copy: C:\Program
> Files\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.pyo
>
> I have these lines in my program:
> import Numeric
> from Numeric import *
>
> The problem is that when I run my python program in IDLE, I receive the
> following error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:\Documents and Settings\music1\My
> Documents\Aerostream\aerostream\Reed
> Solomon\python-rscode\python-rscode\GF16genroot2a.py", line 18, in
> <module>
>    import Numeric
> ImportError: No module named Numeric
>>>>

> I would be most appreciative of any clear, detailed instructions on where
> the Numeric Python files should be located and how to get this package to
> work.

Numeric is an old, obsolete package. numpy is the successor. You
installed numpy, not Numeric. Unfortunately, there is no Python 2.5
binary available for Numeric. I am not familiar with the Reed Solomon
coding package that you are using, so I don't know if there is an
updated version that uses numpy instead of Numeric. If it is open
source, and you can show us the source, we can help you convert it to
use numpy.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."