[Numpy-discussion] ANNOUNCE: EPD with Py2.5 version 4.0.30002 RC2 available for testing

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 22:44:10 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried installing 4.0.300x on a machine running 64-bit windows vista home
> edition and ran into problems with PyQt and some related packages. So I
> uninstalled all the python-related software, EPD took over 30 minutes to
> uninstall, and tried to install EPD 4.1 beta.

My guess is that EPD is only 32 bits installer, so that you run it on
WOW (Windows in Windows) on windows 64, which is kind of slow (but
usable for most tasks).

> Next I tried installing the 64-bit 2.6 installer from python.org, and I got
> a message saying I needed to log in as an administrator to install for all
> users. My account is listed as an adminstrator account, so I don't
> understand what the problem is. I was able to install 2.6 just for my
> account, instead of for all users, but I was not able to install EPD 4.1
> just for my account, it failed with the same error as it did when I
> installed for all users.

You should report those issues on python bug tracker, I think. More
generatlly, correct windows installers are a  tricky business,
specially when you start using dll. In particular, many things are
under-documented (dll manifest and co); I know from the python-dev ML
that python developers had a hard time solving those issues. Maybe not
everything was sorted out, although I am a bit surprised about
straight python 2.6 installer.

David