[Numpy-discussion] ANNOUNCE: EPD with Py2.5 version 4.0.30002 RC2 available for testing

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 17:00:10 EST 2008

I tried installing 4.0.300x on a machine running 64-bit windows vista home
edition and ran into problems with PyQt and some related packages. So I
uninstalled all the python-related software, EPD took over 30 minutes to
uninstall, and tried to install EPD 4.1 beta.

Near the end of the installation of 4.1, I got an error:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as
part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel
or package vendor."

I exit the error dialog and then the installer reports:

"EPD Py25 v4.1.30001_beta1 setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your
system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time,
please run the installation again."

If I exit the installer and run it again, I get an option to change, repair
or remove the current installation. Repair fails with the same error.
Removal seemed to complete without incident.

Next I tried installing the 64-bit 2.6 installer from python.org, and I got
a message saying I needed to log in as an administrator to install for all
users. My account is listed as an adminstrator account, so I don't
understand what the problem is. I was able to install 2.6 just for my
account, instead of for all users, but I was not able to install EPD 4.1
just for my account, it failed with the same error as it did when I
installed for all users.

I also tried installing EPD-4.1 with user account controls disabled, but I
saw the same error.

I'm not a very sophisticated windows user, and I have only had vista for
about a week, but I have been able to install software unrelated to python
without trouble and I have used python on windows XP in the past to create
windows installers for a couple python packages. If this seems like a
legitimate bug and there is something more I can do in the way of testing,
please let me know.

Darren