[Numpy-discussion] More loadtxt() changes

Ryan May rmay31 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:08:38 EST 2008

Pierre GM wrote:
> Sounds like a plan. Wouldn't mind getting more feedback from fellow
> users before we get too deep, however...

Ok, I've attached, as a first cut, a diff against SVN HEAD that does (I
think) what I'm looking for.  It passes all of the old tests and passes
my own quick test.  A more rigorous test suite will follow, but I want
this out the door before I need to leave for the day.

What this changeset essentially does is just add support for automatic
dtypes along with supplying/reading names for flexible dtypes.  It
leverages StringConverter heavily, using a few tweaks so that old
behavior is kept.  This is by no means a final version.

Probably the biggest change from what I mentioned earlier is that
instead of dtype='auto', I've used dtype=None to signal the detection
code, since dtype=='auto' causes problems.

I welcome any and all suggestions here, both on the code and on the
original idea of adding these capabilities to loadtxt().

Ryan

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant