[Numpy-discussion] Numpy on Mac OS X python 2.6

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 25 07:25:21 EST 2008

Pierre GM wrote:
> FYI,
> I can't reproduce David's failures on my machine (intel core2 duo w/
> 10.5.5)
> * python 2.6 from macports

I think that's the main difference. I feel more and more that the
problem is linked to fat binaries (more exactly multi arch build in one
autoconf run: since only one pyconfig.h is generated for all archs, only
one value is defined for CPU specific configurations). On my machine,
pyconfig.h has WORDS_BIGENDIAN defined to one, which I can only explain
by the binary being built on ppc (unfortunately, I can't find this
information from python itself - maybe in the release notes). And that
cannot work on Intel.

The general solution would be to generate different arch specific config
files, and import them conditionally in the main config file.  But doing
so in a platform-neutral manner is not trivial,

David