[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for changing the names of inverse trigonometrical/hyperbolic functions

Jon Wright wright at esrf.fr
Mon Nov 24 15:00:48 EST 2008

Eric Firing wrote:
> Francesc Alted wrote:
>
>> So, IMHO, I think it would be better to rename the inverse trigonometric
>> functions from ``arc*`` to ``a*`` prefix.
>
> +1
> I have stumbled over this myself.  If there is resistance to removing

-1

There is resistance. Please don't remove the old names. Also note that
your proposed change will alter people's code in subtle, but potentially
very "interesting" ways:

>>> from math import *
>>> from numpy import *
>>> type(arcsin(1)) is type(asin(1))
False
>>> from numpy import arcsin as transformacion_del_arco_seno
>>> arcsin == transformacion_del_arco_seno
True

asin(1j) raises an exception, arcsin doesn't. They are *different*
functions, hence the names.

I have the feeling the only times I ever write to this list is to say
"please don't change the API". So, here I am again, "please don't change
the API". This is a cosmetic change whose only effect seems to be to
have everyone change their code, and then support multiple incompatible
numpy versions.

Thanks,

Jon