[Numpy-discussion] ANN: numpy.i - added managed deallocation to ARGOUTVIEW_ARRAY1 (ARGOUTVIEWM_ARRAY1)

Egor Zindy ezindy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 05:15:21 EST 2008

Christopher Barker wrote:
> thanks! good stuff.
> It would be great if you could put that in the numpy (scipy?) wiki
> though, so more folks will find it.
>
> -Chris

Hello Chris,

no problems, you are absolutely right, this is where the documents will
have to eventually end up for maximum visibility. There is already a bit
of numpy + SWIG in the cookbook, but that could well have been written
before numpy.i

http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/SWIG_and_NumPy

For added exposure, there is also the numpy.i document written by Bill
Spotz. That could do with more examples (separate document maybe). The
lack of examples is what prompted me to write my wiki in the first place!

I've also updated my other document with a more credible ARGOUTVIEW
example. The part about numpy+SWIG+MinGW is now dwarfed by the body of
numpy.i examples (not necessary a good thing).

Plus all the examples are ARRAY1, people have also asked for some ARRAY2
/ ARRAY3 examples and FORTRAN arrays (which I don't know anything about
I'm afraid).

Here are the two wikis so far:
http://code.google.com/p/ezwidgets/wiki/NumpySWIGMinGW
http://code.google.com/p/ezwidgets/wiki/NumpyManagedMemory

Still looking for a good name for my "argout arrays with managed
deallocation"... After writing my ARGOUTVIEW example, I am not even sure
my addition to numpy.i should be called a "view" anymore.

How does ARGOUTMAD_ARRAY sound? (for Managed Allocation / Deallocation) :-)

Regards,
Egor