[Numpy-discussion] numpy-docs and sphinx

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Nov 14 04:21:17 EST 2008

Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:42:08 +0100, Nils Wagner wrote:
[clip]
> Is this source outdated
> svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/doctools/trunk sphinx-trunk ?

I believe it's outdated.

> I mean can I still use it or should I switch to
>
> hg clone http://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx
>
> Is it possible to obtain sphinx without hg (mercurial) ?

There's a download link on the above page on the right that gives you a
zip or a tarball of the sources.

But Sphinx 0.5 should come out "soon", AFAIK.

> Here is a new problem concering make html in numpy-docs.
>
> http://docs.python.org/dev/library/functions.html Intersphinx hit:
> exceptions.StopIteration
> http://docs.python.org/dev/library/exceptions.html Math extension error:
> latex exited with error:
> [stderr]
>
> [stdout]
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5) (./math.tex
> LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
> Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
> ngerman, n
> ohyphenation, loaded.
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls Document Class: article
> 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/inputenc.sty
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `utf8.def' not found.
>
> Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed, or enter new name. (Default
> extension: def)
>
> Enter file name:
> ! Emergency stop.
> <read *>
>
> l.118 \endinput
>                 ^^M
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on math.log.

Strange, 'utf8.def' is typically a part of a standard Latex installation,
at least (I think) if it is not a very old one. Are you able to upgrade
your Latex, or get the file eg. from CTAN?

If not, you can just edit sphinx/ext/pngmath.py, and adjust the
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} line in it.

	Pauli