[Numpy-discussion] numpy, Py_ssize_t, cython and 64 bits python 2.4

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Sun Nov 9 18:29:52 EST 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com
> <mailto:cournape at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Charles R Harris
>     <charlesr.harris at gmail.com <mailto:charlesr.harris at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      > Let me see if I understand this correctly. For Python < 2.5 the
>     list indices
>      > and such are ints, while for later versions they are Py_ssize_t,
>     which is
>      > larger on 64 bit systems. Meanwhile, Py_intptr_t is large enough
>     to hold a
>      > pointer.
>
>     yes
>
>      > So why are these two numbers being mixed?
>
>     It is note that they are being mixed, but that cython does not support
>     this configuration: it has a internal check which raise an exception
>     in such a case. See around line 55:
>
>     http://hg.cython.org/cython/file/764f1578df40/Cython/Includes/numpy.pxd
>
>     As I understand, this means you can't use cython for such a
>     configuration, but I just wanted to confirm whether there were known
>     workarounds.
>

> Lessee,
>
> cdef extern from "Python.h":
>      ctypedef int Py_intptr_t
>
> cdef extern from "numpy/arrayobject.h":
>      ctypedef Py_intptr_t npy_intp
>
> So they are screwing with the npy_intp type. They should hang. Numpy is
> numpy, Python is python, and never the two should meet. Note that none
> of this crap is in the c_numpy.pxd included with numpy, BTW. I'd send
> the cython folks a note and tell them to knock it off, the Py_* values
> are irrelevant to numpy.

I do not want to hang...

Robert is right, it could just as well say "ctypedef int npy_intp".
Perhaps it should (but it would not fix the problem). I didn't think too
much about it, just copied the definition I found in the particular
NumPy headers on my drive, knowing it wouldn't make a difference.

Some comments on the real problem:

What the Cython numpy.pxd file does is implementing PEP 3118 [1], which
is supported by Cython in all Python versions (ie backported, not
following any standard). And, in Py_buffer, the strides and shapes are
Py_ssize_t* (which is also backported as David mentions). So, in order
to cast the shape and stride arrays and return them in the Py_buffer
struct, they need to have the datatype defined by the backported PEP
3118, i.e. the backported Py_ssize_t, i.e. int.

At the time I didn't know whether this case every arose in practice, so
that's why this is not supported (I have limited knowledge about the C
side of NumPy). The fix is easy:

a) Rather than raise an exception on line 56, one can instead create new
arrays (using malloc) and copy the contents of shape and strides to
arrays with elements of the right size.
b) These must then be freed in __releasebuffer__ (under the same
conditions).
c) Also "info.obj" must then be set to "self". Note that it is set to
None on line 91, that line should then be moved.

OTOH, one could also opt for changing how PEP 3118 is backported and say
that "for Python 2.4 we say that Py_buffer has Py_intptr_t* fields
instead". This would be more work to get exactly right, and would be
more contrived as well, but is doable if one really wants to get rid of
the extra mallocs.

I'd love it if someone else could take a look and submit a patch for
either of these approaches, as I would have to set up the right
combinations of libraries to test things properly etc. and just plain
don't have the time right now.

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3118/

--
Dag Sverre