[Numpy-discussion] atlas not found, why?

T J tjhnson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 17:59:15 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:46 AM, T J <tjhnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since these are all in the standard locations, I am building without a
> site.cfg.  Here is the beginning info:

Apparently, this is not enough.  Only if I also set the ATLAS
environment variable am I able to get this working as expected.  So
while I now have this working, I'd still like to understand why this
is necessary.    This is for Ubuntu 8.10.  My previous experience was
that no site.cfg was necessary.  This is still the case, but you also
need ATLAS defined.

I was also expecting that the following site.cfg would avoid requiring
ATLAS to be defined, but it did not.

[DEFAULT]
library_dirs = /usr/lib:/usr/lib/sse2
include_dirs = /usr/local/include

[blas_opt]
libraries = f77blas, cblas, atlas

[lapack_opt]
libraries = lapack, f77blas, cblas, atlas

So can someone explain why I *must* define ATLAS.  I tried a number of
variations on site.cfg and could not get numpy to find atlas with any
of them.