[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed May 21 04:08:57 EDT 2008

Hi Rob

2008/5/21 Rob Hetland <hetland at tamu.edu>:
> See Also
> --------
> function : One line description from function's docstring
>     Longer description here over potentially many lines. Lorem ipsum
> dolor sit amet,
>     consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut
> labore et dolore
>     magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation
> ullamco laboris nisi
>     ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
> next_function : One line description from next_function's docstring
>     Longer description here over potentially many lines. Lorem ipsum
> dolor sit amet,
>     consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut
> labore et dolore
>     magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation
> ullamco laboris nisi
>     ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
>

> This will parse better (as the line with the semicolon is bold, the
> next lines are not).  Also, would it be possible to put function and
> next_function in double back-ticks, so that they are referenced, like
> modules?  That way they will might be clickable in a html version of
> the documentation.

When generating the reference guide, I parse all the numpy docstrings
and re-generate a document enhanced with Sphinx markup.  In this
document, functions in the See Also clause are "clickable".  I have
support for two formats:

See Also
function_a, function_b, function_c
function_d : relation to current function

Don't worry if it doesn't look perfect on the wiki; the reference
guide will be rendered correctly.

Regards
Stéfan