[Numpy-discussion] data exchange format

Rob Hetland hetland at tamu.edu
Tue May 20 13:18:31 EDT 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Gary Pajer wrote:

> I thought about that.  It seems to have much more than I need, so I
> wonder if it's got more overhead / less speed / more complex API than
> I need.   But big isn't necessarily bad, but it might be.  Is pytables
> overkill?

I use netCDF (which uses the HDF5 libraries netCDF4).  NetCDF is good
for large, gridded datasets, where the grid does not change in time.
For my datasets (numerical ocean models), this format is perfect.

HDF is more general and flexible, but a bit more complex.  Take a look
at the netcdf4-python.googlecode.com package, if you are interested.

-Rob