[Numpy-discussion] Current state of the trunk and release

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue May 20 03:53:04 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I believe that we have now addressed everything that was holding up
> the 1.1.0 release, so I will be tagging the 1.1.0rc1 in about 12
> hours.  Please be extremely conservative and careful about any commits
> you make to the trunk until we officially release 1.1.0 (now may be a
> good time to spend some effort on SciPy).  Once I tag the release
> candidate I will ask both David and Chris to create Windows and Mac
> binaries.  I will give everyone a few days to test the release
> candidate and binaries thoroughly.  If everything looks good, the
> release candidate will become the official release.
>
> Once I tag 1.1.0, I will open the trunk for 1.1.1 development.  Any
> development for 1.2 will have to occur on a new branch.  I also plan
> to spend sometime once 1.1.0 is released discussing with the community
> what we want included in 1.2.

Since there seems to be some confusion about what should be happening
and where, I wanted to clarify the situation.  There is currently no
branch for 1.1.x; the trunk is still officially the 1.1.x "branch".  I
have tagged a 1.1.0rc1 off the trunk for testing.  A development
freeze is in effect on the trunk for a few days.  I plan to release
1.1.0 officially be this Friday unless something ugly shows up.

If you need to work on NumPy, feel free to create a branch:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/MakingBranches

I know this is frustrating for some of you, but please just bear with
me for a few days and help me try and get a stable 1.1.0 out as fast
as possible.  The only things that should be committed to the trunk
now should be trivial bug-fixes to specific issues found by the
release candidate.

A good example of the kind of change I intended on the trunk right now
is Robert Kern's fix to two tests that were incorrectly assuming
little-endianness:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/5196
In fact, this is exactly the type of thing I was hoping we might
uncover by creating binaries for the release candidate.

So if you want to help get NumPy 1.1.0, please test the release
candidate as well as the release candidate binaries.  Also please use
restraint in making new commits.  I don't have time to police ever
commit, so I am asking everyone to just use their best judgment.
Please be patient, the release will be out very soon.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley