[Numpy-discussion] f2py and -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 compilation flag

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Thu May 15 04:13:43 EDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM, David Huard <david.huard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I filed a patch that seems to do the trick in ticket #792.
>
> I don't think this is the right approach. The problem isn't that
> _FORTIFY_SOURCE is set to 2 but that f2py is doing (probably) bad
> things that trip these buffer overflow checks. IIRC, Pearu wasn't on
> the f2py mailing list at the time this came up; please try him again.

I was able to reproduce the bug on a debian system. The fix with
a comment on what was causing the bug, is in svn:

   http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/5173

I should warn that the bug fix does not have unittests because:
1) testing the bug requires Fortran compiler that for NumPy is
an optional requirement.
2) I have tested the fix with two different setups that should cover
all possible configurations.
3) In the case of problems with the fix, users should notice it immediately.
4) I have carefully read the patch before committing.

Regards,
Pearu