[Numpy-discussion] Installing numpy/scipy on CentOS 4

Chris Miller centos at scratchspace.com
Mon May 12 16:44:40 EDT 2008

Robert,
	I looked in the build directory from Atlas and it is indeed
generating the additional libraries. I copied them over to /usr/lib
and rebuilt the numpy RPM. Indeed the behavior is different, and
numpy sees the libraries. Of course some new oddities have entered
the equation. Specifically this :

     Lapack library (from ATLAS) is probably incomplete:
       size of /usr/lib/liblapack.so is 3742k (expected >4000k)

     Follow the instructions in the KNOWN PROBLEMS section of the file
     numpy/INSTALL.txt.

The INSTALL file is missing :-( I wonder if this is really a problem
or just the result of stripping the binary (assuming RPM stripped
it). I rebuilt lapack3 but the binary is still under 4MB. Let me
know what you think.

Below is the rest of the relevant output. BTW, thanks for your
responsiveness to this issue.

Chris

F2PY Version 2_4422
blas_opt_info:
blas_mkl_info:
   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /usr/local/lib
   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /usr/lib
   NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_threads_info:
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
   libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
   libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib/atlas
   libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib/sse2
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
   FOUND:
     libraries = ['ptf77blas', 'ptcblas', 'atlas']
     library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
     language = c

<snip>

lapack_opt_info:
lapack_mkl_info:
mkl_info:
   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /usr/local/lib
   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /usr/lib
   NOT AVAILABLE

   NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_threads_info:
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
   libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
   libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
   libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib/atlas
   libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib/atlas
   libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib/sse2
   libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib/sse2
   libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib
numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_threads_info
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/numpy-1.0.4/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:955:
UserWarning:
     Lapack library (from ATLAS) is probably incomplete:
       size of /usr/lib/liblapack.so is 3742k (expected >4000k)

     Follow the instructions in the KNOWN PROBLEMS section of the file
     numpy/INSTALL.txt.

   warnings.warn(message)
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
   FOUND:
     libraries = ['lapack', 'ptf77blas', 'ptcblas', 'atlas']
     library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
     language = c