[Numpy-discussion] Code samples in docstrings mistaken as doctests

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Jun 23 04:03:28 EDT 2008

2008/6/23 Alan McIntyre <alan.mcintyre at gmail.com>:
> Some docstrings have examples of how to use the function that aren't
> executable code (see numpy.core.defmatrix.bmat for an example) in
> their current form.  Should these examples have the ">>>" removed from
> them to avoid them being picked up as doctests?

The examples written for the random module warrants the same question.
 First and foremost, the docstrings are there to illustrate to users
how to use the code; second, to serve as tests.

Example codes should run, but I'm not sure whether they should always
be valid doctests.

In the `bmat` example, I would remove the '>>>' like you suggested.

Regards
Stéfan