[Numpy-discussion] nose changes checked in

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 12:59:48 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - The signature of numpy.test in 1.2 will be backward compatible with
>> 1.1, and it will at least return some indication of failure (if not
>> the same object as in 1.1).  This will, by the way, make it different
>> from the signature and behavior of scipy.test.
>
> scipy.test() should be made to match numpy.test(). scipy.testing was a
> staging ground for the nose changes in numpy, not a separate branch of
> development.

Ok. Jarrod mentioned that the intent is to change SciPy over to use
numpy.testing (and remove scipy.testing) once NumPy's nose transition
is complete.  Is that something that something that will happen
simultaneously in the next release, or will SciPy lag behind one
cycle?  Either way, at some point in the next few weeks I'll try
making that change locally just to see if it turns up any surprising
requirements in the NumPy side.

> For my preference, we should accept the old argument signature with a
> deprecation warning but prefer the current signature. This is a little
> hairy, but such is life with deprecations.

Do you want a blanket warning, or only a warning if test() gets
keyword arguments from the old signature?

Also, since the numpy.testing.ScipyTestCase and ScipyTest classes
already had deprecation warnings in 1.1, I'll leave them out in 1.2,
if that's ok.

Thanks,
Alan