[Numpy-discussion] 1.1.0 OSX Installer Fails Under 10.5.3?

J. Stark j.stark at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 02:48:26 EDT 2008

Chris,

many thanks. Could I suggest that this information be featured
prominently in the Read Me in the Installer, and perhaps also at
http://www.scipy.org/Download where this is given as the official
binary distribution for MacOSX. You might want to change the error
message too, since I think that some people will interpret "System
Python" to mean the default Python provided by the standard system
install. Since this is 2.5.1 on Leopard, the error message could be
confusing.

On this topic, I would be interested to hear people's advice on using
the system provided Python v an independent install. In 25 years of
using Macs I have learned through several painful lessons that its
wise to customize the system as little as possible: this minimizes
both conflicts and reduces problems when doing system upgrades. I
have therefore always used the default Python provided by OSX, so far
with no obvious disadvantages for the types of scripts I use
(primarily home written SciPy scientific code). However, I note that
many people run either the pythomac.org distribution, or the
ActiveState. What are the advantages to this?

Many thanks

J.