[Numpy-discussion] [matplotlib-devel] Matplotlib and latest numpy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:07:22 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 19:02, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 18:49, Gael Varoquaux
>> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Does that mean that python setup.py develop should be banned for numpy?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> > If so I consider it a setuptools issue: one more caveat to learn about
>> > setuptools, ie the fact that setuptools develop is not reliable and can
>> > lead to interested bugs without conplaining at all.
>>
>> IT'S NOT A SETUPTOOLS ISSUE. If you had done a "python setup.py
>> build_ext --inplace" and then set your PYTHONPATH manually, you would
>> have the same problem. Stop blaming setuptools for every little
>> problem. Building inplace is not a setuptools feature. It's a
>> distutils feature. The fact that we have header files in the package
>> is a numpy feature.
>
> So what was Gael doing wrong? Was it the develop on this line?
>
> python setupegg.py develop
>
> I'm asking because of the upcoming release. I never use setupegg.py and I
> don't know what is going on here.

The code generation logic in numpy does not know anything about
"build_ext --inplace" (which is a distutils feature that develop
invokes). That's it. This problem has always existed for all versions
of numpy whether you use setuptools or not. The logic in
numpy/core/setup.py that places the generated files needs to be fixed
if you want to fix this issue. I'm testing out a fix right now.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco