[Numpy-discussion] Ticket review: #843

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Jul 16 18:27:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Christopher Barker apparently wrote:
> Indentation is syntax in python -- we do need to all do it
> the same way, and four spaces is the standard -- there
> simply isn't another reasonable option if you want o share
> code with anyone else.

Last comment (since this has already gone too long):

There are large projects that accept the use of either
convention.  (E.g., Zope, if I recall correctly.)

BUT projects set their own style guidelines,
and I am NOT in any way proposing that NumPy change.
(Not that it would possibly matter if I did so.)

But just to be clear: the common arguments against the use
of tabs are demonstrably false and illustrate either
ignorance or use of an incapable editor.  Nobody with
a decent editor will ever have problems with code that
consistently uses tabs for indentation---a choice that can
easily be signalled by modelines when code is shared on
a project that allows both conventions.

Cheers,
Alan