[Numpy-discussion] python user defined type

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 11 13:03:50 EDT 2008

Nicolas Rougier wrote:
> My Unit class is supposed to represent a neuron that can be linked to
> any other unit. The neuron itself is merely a (float) potential that can
> vary along time under the influence of other units and learning.

> gather these units into groups which are in fact 2D matrix of units.

If you don't want to get into numpy internals, or write your own array
classes, my thought is to re-think the structure, and rather than have
an array of Unit objects, have a subclass of numpy array that represents
the group, that is an array floats, plus whatever meta information you
need.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov