[Numpy-discussion] Running doctests on buildbots

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Jul 4 04:06:29 EDT 2008

2008/7/3 Alan McIntyre <alan.mcintyre at gmail.com>:
>> The Buildbot configuration is kept on buildmaster.scipy.org, that
>> won't help you.  It sends a request to the client for (something
>> similar to) "make build; make install; make test" to be run.  The
>> administrator of each slave has control over the Makefile itself, so
>> we'll have to ask those individuals to fix the problem.
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to have simpler local makefiles that
> pull the build/install/test instructions out of svn after the update?
> That way we don't have to bother the slave maintainers whenever we
> want to tweak the build/test parameters.
>
> If I recall correctly, Python does something like this.  I could look
> into it if it seems worth doing.

We used to keep the build instructions in a central location, but it
turned out that many maintainers needed to modify the Makefile to do
machine-specific setups (setting up paths, mainly).  What we could do
is to leave the current "make build" in place, but to change the "make
test" step to be common to all.  We'd have to figure out which Python
binary to run because, again, it depends on the build-slave setup.

Regards
Stéfan