[Numpy-discussion] Read-only mercurial mirror of numpy trunk available

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jan 28 21:58:19 EST 2008

Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2008 6:57 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>> la, 2008-01-19 kello 14:15 +0900, David Cournapeau kirjoitti:

>>> Don't hesitate to put more info there. Although I would consider myself
>>> relatively proficient with bzr, mercurial has some few important
>>> differences that I am still not sure to understand (in particular the
>>> lack of "one branch is one directory" concept)
>> I think I don't have edit access to the Trac Wiki...
>>
>> Anyway, it'd be useful to also have either hg or bzr read-only mirror of
>> scipy too!
>>
>> I'd actually like to see these mirrors hosted at some single "official"
>> place (svn.scipy.org?): If everyone maintains their own SVN mirror, the
>> resulting repositories typically turn out "unrelated" as far as the SCM
>> programs are concerned (because of different start points, different
>> conversion tools etc.), and one cannot easily pull and merge changes
>> from other people's repositories.

>>> Since tags seem to be handled through plain files in mercurial, would
>>> copying localtags into .hgtags work ?
>> It will work by just pasting the contents of localtags to .hgtags and
>> committing. However, this would need to be done periodically and would
>> pollute the history a bit.
>
> Better solution is to keep the tags in a Mercurial Queues patch, as I did.
Good. As I said, I know bzr much better than hg, and I did the mirror to
get something started (and get used to hg, too). Since you know hg, it
is better than you maintain this for a while for people to try it out.

> See for yourself:
>
> http://hg.certik.cz/numpy-hg/
>
> BTW this mirror is much faster for me.

Not surprising: my mirror is pure http (static-http as hg puts it), I
can only upload files to it, meaning that I cannot launch any hg server.
Same for bzr, by the way.

thanks for doing this,

David