[Numpy-discussion] Template system

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:16:22 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 2:58 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm thinking of adding the template system I pulled out of Django to
> > Numpy to use in place of the current code generator. Its advantages are
> > documentation, flexibility, and maintainance. The code totals about 470
> > KB, comes with a BSD license, and is compatible with Python >= 2.3. I
> > want to bring this up on the list because I'm sure there will be
> > objections along the lines of "why do we need that"?  So I want to see
> > how strenuous the objections are.
>
> It's too big. If you want a better template system than the current one,
> there
> are a few which are contained in a single file. That would be fine to
> include,
> but I object strongly to incorporating Jinja.

Ummm, harsh. I'm certainly open to suggestions. I took a closer look at the
django system and reduced it to 308K, 70K zipped. There was a lot of space
taken up by the .svn directories inherited from django and *.pyc files. I
could probably knock another 50K off by removing some functionality we don't
really need: html, http, dates, time, and maybe template inheritance. Just
for comparison, here are some things that are in a fresh checkout of numpy,
including the .svn files

Numpy 23 MB
f2py   5.4 MB
doc/swig 1.5 MB
code_generators 192K

So adding the template subsystem would increase the repository size by about
1.4%. Do you have any objections in addition to the size?

Chuck