[Numpy-discussion] Does float16 exist?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 06:00:56 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 11:26 PM, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:

<snip>

> > The C++ name mangling can be worked around.
> name mangling is just the top of the iceberg. There are problems wrt to
> static initialization, exception, etc...; ABI compatibility is much
> easier to break in C++ than in C. And then, there is the problem of C++
> ability of compilers.

One would naturally have to be very careful about which features to use. In
particular, don't use anything that throws, and I suppose one would want to
avoid having to link to the stdc++ library also. I don't know if that is
possible.

<snip>

> I agree on this point (custom code generators use). Note that there are
> standard tools to generate simple templates in C (autogen).

Unfortunately, autogen is GPL and I suspect NumPy would be regarded as a
derived work. Are you familiar with any other standard, maintained program
of that sort with a BSD style license?

> If what you want to do is to be able to use simple templates (by simple,
> I mean template function parametrized with the numerical type), C++ is
> overkill IMHO.

Chuck