[Numpy-discussion] Does float16 exist?

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Tue Jan 8 20:49:15 EST 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 9:18 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 2008 5:01 PM, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/openexr/ilmbase-1.0.1.tar.gz
>> the
>> it,
>> itself
>>> Yeh, I was just thinking you'd rip out and C-ify the main algorithms
>>> rather than trying to wrap it as-is.
>> I'd rather not C-ify the thing, I'd rather C++-ify parts of NumPy. I note
>> that MatPlotLab uses C++, so some of the problems must have been solved.

A big chunk of C++ in matplotlib has just been replaced, largely because
it was so hard to understand and extend for everyone but its author.
There is still C++ code as well as C code in mpl.  Personally, I prefer
the C.

> If you think that's easier then go for it.

The opinion that C++ would improve numpy is not universal, and has been
discussed.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/13244

Eric