[Numpy-discussion] how to work with mercurial and numpy right now

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jan 8 04:36:01 EST 2008

Ondrej Certik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you want to play with Mercurial now (without forcing everyone else
> to leave svn), I suggest this:
>
> http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/hgsvn
>
> I tried that and it works. It's a very easy way to create a hg mirror
> at your computer. And then you can take this
> as the official upstream repository (which you don't have write access
> to). Whenever somone commits
> to the svn, you just do hgpullsvn and it updates your mercurial repo.
>
> Then you just clone it and create branches, for example the scons
> branch can be easily managed like this.
> Then you prepare patches, against your "official local mercurial
> mirror", using for example
> "hg export", or something, those patches should be possible to apply
> against the svn repository as well.
> You sent them for review and then (you or someone else) commit them
> using svn, then you'll "hgpullsvn" your local mercurial mirror and
> merge the changes to all your other branches.

The main problem if this approach is that it is quite heavy on the svn
server; that's why it would be better if the mirrors are done only once,
and are publicly available, I think. Besides, it is easier (and faster)
to do the mirrors locally (or from the file:// method, or from a svn
dump; both mercurial and bzr have methods to import from those)

cheers,

David