[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 12:22:46 EST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 1:49 AM, Rafael Villar Burke <pachi at rvburke.com> wrote:
> David Cournapeau <cournape <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The open solaris project documented their choice, too:
> >
> > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/scm/history/
> >
> > Contrary to mozilla, solaris is using hg as the main VCS.
>
> Mozilla will be using mercurial (hg) too, but decided to do the full transition
> after the next release.
>
> AFAICT, they have fully synched copies of their code in a mercurial repository.

Yes. When I said that open solaris was using hg as their main VCS, I
meant today. Mozilla does not use yet mercurial; note that when
solaris (and mozilla ?) made their choice, bzr had problems with big
code size, which is less of a problem now (bzr heavily focused on
performances in the last 6 months, and it showed). I have imported
scikits and scipy in both mercurial and bzr, and for some operations,
bzr is now faster (in my limited experience).

To be frank, I did not realize that mercurial was that popular (which
makes it more of an argument than I initially thought: I assumed -
wrongly it seems - that both had a similar user-base)

cheers,

David